Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ballpark Backgrounds and Other Stuff

I like trying to figure out which ballpark is in the background of each card photo.  Some are obvious, some take a bit of figuring.  I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, and many of the 70's cards were shot either in Oakland (AL) or San Francisco (NL).  This is one reason I always try to get the location.

In each card description, I'm going to put the ballpark.  If it's spring training, I'll say that, or if it cannot be identified at all.  I'm going to add labels, and start each ballpark label name with the letters "bp" (e.g. "bp Shea Stadium") so that all ballparks are consecutive in one group in my labels list in my right margin.  I'm also going to label players' positions (label starts with "pos"), and whether the photo (label starts with "pic") is a pose, action or candid shot, and the team (label starts with "tm").  Also, since players were smaller back then and did less muscle building, I'm going to label players over 200 lbs.  I'll probably add other stuff as I go along, and if it's early enough in the set, I may do it retroactively with cards already posted.

I'm also going to include in my card description my comments about the cartoon found on the back of each 1974 Topps card.

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to the labelling system. I think this is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jim. I'm also going to add an "airbrush" label for those awful paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin' the sound of this already. I enjoy this kind of thing. I especially love it if a photo date can be figured out.

    Suggestion... label guys who were no longer playin in '74? Or maybe HOFers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the ballparks. That always trips me up, and can be time-consuming.

    I do like the random labels though, as someone who has random labels on my blog.

    ReplyDelete